First Impressions: SNK Arcade Classics: Volume 1

Filed under: , , by: Grundy the Man


I am going to come out and admit it, I am a whore for retro games. When I heard that there was going to be a collection of classic SNK games available for the Wii, I just needed to know what dotted line to sign on, in order to secure my copy. Thankfully, Goozex was created for this very reason. After one night of staying up late, I was first in the queue and eagerly awaiting its arrival.

When the game arrived at my door, it took every ounce of restraint that I had, not to explode in a manic fit of childish glee. With classic SNK games like Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters '94 and the ever popular Metal Slug, I knew many nostalgic hours of retro gaming were ahead of me. Then came the realization that rattled my faith in humanity, some of the games would not support the Wii Classic controller.

I was so shocked that I didn't know what to do with myself. It was just assumed that because the all games were of the classic variety, one would think that this was a no-brainer. Apparently I was very, very wrong. Though greatly disappointed, I decided grit my teeth and venture on.

Determined not to let the controller controversy destroy my experience, I dove into Metal Slug. I started to feel like a kid that started his meal with desert, because his parents were out of town. Metal Slug went down like the sweet flavored ice cream that I had been missing for oh so long. It took me back to a simpler time when I was a prepubescent boy, running through the arcade with pockets puckering out, full of as many quarters as I could muster from my meager allowance. Ah, those were the days...

After getting my fill of ammunition and carnage, I decided to move on to the timeless fighter, Fatal Fury. The control system consisted of a basic 3 button setup that seemed to give the Wii-mote a bit of a fit. Once you got the hang of the controls, the gameplay would come to you, but if you didn't use the classic controller, something just seemed to be awkward and missing.

There is much more of this game that needs to be played through before the final judgment is passed. Expect the full review in the coming weeks.

Check out the trailer for SNK Arcade Classics: Volume 1, below:

0 comments: