Double Take Review: Lego Indiana Jones

Filed under: , by: Grundy the Man

First of all, let me say that this games has allowed me to live out a life long dream, beating the ever-loving, Lego stuffing out of Short Round. That alone makes it a must-play for me, but the real question is do you hate that annoying little midget child too? If so, then you are in the right place!

As you make your way through the story, you wonder how the games designers will be able to make Lego figures act out some of the more gruesome scenes from the film. Fortunately every character acts out the story without voices or violence, adding to the fanciful nature of the storytelling. The game just oozes fun as you get to do anything you want and destroy anything that looks remotely like a Lego.

There is something that is strangely satisfying about punching a little Lego man right in the jaw, but that is about as violent as the game gets. Some of the other amusing attacks include throwing an enemy over your shoulder and putting them in a headlock while simultaneously performing a vicious nuggie... Intimidating stuff, let me tell you.

As mentioned in the earlier review each character has a special ability. Each of these abilities seem like a gimmick that is forcing you to use every character, even though you can't stand them. I'm looking at you Short Round... One unique addition to the game is the fear mechanic. All characters are afraid of interacting with some kind of enemy in the game.

This is where my first complaint comes into play, because there is actually one character that has no fear... Short Round. Why is it that the only character that is under the age of ten is the single creature in this game that has a pair of descended testicles? How is that realistic in the slightest? I mean the only significant thing he contributed to the series was the catchphrase, "No time for love, Dr. Jones..."

Some of my other issues with the game play itself revolve around driving vehicles. The controls were so bass-ackwards, that controlling a car or motorcycle was more difficult then playing a game of Marko Polo with Helen Keller. I found myself driving off of cliffs, just in hopes that I would be respawned on the other side of a gap, WITHOUT a vehicle, but I was never that lucky.
Also as I mentioned in the preview, the camera must have been designed by the programmer that rides the short bus to work.

To sum things up, this is a game that has three target audiences: children ten and under, hardcore Indiana Jones fans and those whole like to cause harm to Short Round. If you do not fall into any of these groups, I would skip this one and wait for Lego Batman. The Batman version looks to be the best entry in the series so far.

Below is the trailer for Lego Batman:

0 comments: